Alipore is a village in Chikhli Taluka of Navsari District in the state of Gujarat, India. It is approximately 236 km from Mumbai, 25 km from Navsari, and 55 km from Surat. It is well connected to nearby towns by National Highway no 8.
Alipore was once well known for producing a handcrafted local cloth call Khadi, which was later replaced by electric hand looms producing fine cotton cloth.
The village has a few stone quarries supplying mine stone for construction and road works. Alipore has a big dairy plant called Vasudhara Dairy run by the milk co-operative of the Valsad and Navsari districts.
Alipore has a population of about 7500 people. The inhabitants are mainly Muslim. However, there are a number of Hindus living in Alipore as well. The village has about 20 main streets which are commonly known as Mahollas.
The indigenous population of Alipore are mainly landowner Vohras. Traditionally the village survived on farming, producing rice as a main crop. They also produced daals, cotton, mangoes, cattle grass etc.
The main language spoken in Alipore is Gujarati although many speak and understand English and Hindi.
There are at least five Mosques, a Mandir, a Hospital. two Islamic learning centers i.e. Darul Uloom, Bank, Post Office and a Primary and Secondary High School.
There are five masjids in Alipore. The Jumma Masjid, which has recently been totally renovated, dates back to several hundred years. The other area masjids in Alipore include the Laher Mohalla Masjid, Gajaria Masjid, Khambia Masjid and one which is located on the outskirts of the village (Pardar).
There are two Darul-Uloom in Alipore. The Hidayatul Islam Darul Uloom is in the heart of the village. It was established about 50 years ago. The other Darul Uloom is in Khambia. Both provide Aalim courses and Hifz classes.
There is an Eidgarh facility in Alipore. This is an open area used for Eid salaah. People from surrounding villages perform the Eid namaaz at this Eidgarh.
Alipore has a General Hospital which is located ideally on the National Highway. It was established about 15 years ago. This hospital provides facilities for Dialysis, Surgery, Dental care, Maternity, Paediatrics and Orthopaedic services. The Alipore Hospital is run by the Alipore Welfare Trust.
BANKS AND POST OFFICES
There is a post office together with a bank in Alipore namely the Bank of Baroda. They attend to the financial matters for the people of Alipore.
The village presently has one primary school and a secondary school named K and B High school. The High school has an enrolment of about 885 learners.
Alipore has two main water works. One is situated in the centre of the village and the other in the Karolia Maholla. There is a further water purification plant using advanced filtration technique, which supplies clean water for both drinking and domestic use to every household in the village.
There are 3 cemeteries (kabrestans) in Alipore. The main kabrestan is situated in the outskirts of Alipore adjoining the Vasudhara Dairy. The other 2 are smaller kabrestans and are used only occasionally.
The stone quarries in Alipore supply material for construction and road works.
Alipore has a big dairy plant called Vasudhara Dairy. It is run by the milk-co-operative society Valsad and Navsari districts. It employs more than 1000 people. It collects milk from the surrounding villages. The dairy produces over 300 000 litres of milk per day which is packaged in cartons. It also produces ice cream, butter and other dairy products.
Traditionally, the people of Alipore survived on farming. Rice was the main crop. They also produced cattle grass, cotton and mangoes. Alipore was once well known for producing a handcrafted local cloth call Khadi, which was later replaced by electric hand looms producing fine cotton cloth.
VILLAGE PANCHAYAT (LOCAL GOVERNING BODY)
The village Panchayat is an institution of local self-government, which acts as a means of expression between the local government and the public. It is consists of a body of democratically elected members from respective wards, the leader of the council is known as “Sarpanch”.
The people of Alipore enjoy playing cricket. They have a senior cricket team which plays both locally and at district level. There are also several junior cricket clubs. Other sporting activities include volleyball and a fitness suite.
Alipore has good road system with access to a major highway in India. The National Highway 8, which passes through the middle of Alipore connects Delhi to Mumbai. It has recently been developed and expanded with the addition of a third lane.
PUBLIC BUS TRANSPORT
Public bus transport connects Alipore to surrounding towns and cities. There are numerous taxis and rickshaws to take one around the village. There are also future plans for a new express highway, which will run parallel to Alipore.
Alipore presently have a narrow gauge train service which operates from Billimora to Wagai. It has a railway station called Chikhli Road Station. Future plans include replacing the narrow gauge with the broad gauge and will extend its routes through Saputara (a well-known holiday hill-top resort) to Nasik City.
There are shopping malls and good resturants nearby. Taxis and rickshaws are plentiful and the village is well connected by bus and train services.
Since the early 1880’s, many Aliporians migrated to other countries in search of a better life. The first migrants went to South Africa to work on the sugar cane fields in Durban. Many of them moved northwards and settled in various parts of the province of Gauteng and which was previously called Transvaal, with Johannesburg being the preferred destination. In the 1950’s, many people of Alipore migrated to the United Kingdom.